Despite government efforts to achieve a future with zero road fatalities or serious injuries, 26 bicyclists lost their lives on Los Angeles County roads in 2022.
A recent Bike-LA report examined 4 major factors contributing to bicycle fatalities:
- High-speed limits exceeding 35mph reduce driver visibility and increase crash severity.
- Multiple travel lanes create unsafe conditions for cyclists.
- Significant gaps in the bicycle lane network contributed to 85% of fatalities in 2022.
- Poor street lighting. More than half of all fatalities happened at night.
According to the report, the fact that most of the crashes involved 2+ factors suggests that a number of strategies focused on infrastructure deficiencies should be adopted by government agencies to reduce the number of bicycle accident fatalities.
What kind of compensation should you seek in a bicycle accident case?
There are many different expenses that often come along with being involved in a bicycle accident.
- Medical Bills – Both Past and Future: You should not be responsible for this. The at-fault party needs to be held accountable for your injuries.
- Damaged Property: You should not have to pay for a new bicycle or other belongings. The at-fault party needs to purchase a new one for you that is of similar value.
- Emotional Trauma: The last thing people think about is being involved in a life-changing accident. A good personal injury lawyer will help you recover damages for pain and suffering.
Goldberg Injury Lawyers